ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] FYI -- Mikey show-and-tell -- Notification -- DSSA selects NIST 800-30 methodology

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] FYI -- Mikey show-and-tell -- Notification -- DSSA selects NIST 800-30 methodology
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 06:43:54 -0600

Hi all,

this is sortof a "what Mikey's been doing at summer-camp" type note that I sent
to Stephane yesterday.  that's the reason that capital letters and correct
punctuation have crept in…  i thought some of y'all might be interested in this
little slide deck too.  feel free to push it along to anybody else you think
might like to see it.

mikey

 - - - - - - -

Dear Stephane,

While the DSSA plans to provide a complete update on our progress at the Costa
Rica meeting, we the co-chairs thought that you, and the rest of the Council,
might want to be notified separately about a significant "process" decision
that we made while doing our work so far.

We decided to look for pre-built methods for conducting a risk assessment --
partly because a risk-assessment is what we have been tasked to do and partly
because we felt that using pre-defined methods might save us time and improve
the quality of our work-product.

We're pleased to inform you that we've found a methodology that fits our needs
well, is available at no charge and will most assuredly be supported for some
time to come -- NIST 800-30.

We've attached a very short slide deck that gives a broad overview of the
methodology for your review.  Please don't hesitate to contact any of us if you
have questions or would like to learn more.

Thanks,

DSSA co-chairs and staff

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356