ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] here's a GREAT piece by Cory Doctorow which touches on many of the issues we like to discuss

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] here's a GREAT piece by Cory Doctorow which touches on many of the issues we like to discuss
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:50:36 -0600

hi all,

this is a great thought-provoker piece -- kindof a unified field theory of why
things like SOPA and IP protection strategies in general don't work.  it'll
make some of you cranky, and i'd really like to have a discussion about those
points.

http://boingboing.net/2012/01/10/lockdown.html

here's a teaser:

> General-purpose computers are astounding. They're so astounding that our
> society still struggles to come to grips with them, what they're for, how to
> accommodate them, and how to cope with them. This brings us back to something
> you might be sick of reading about: copyright.
>
> But bear with me, because this is about something more important. The shape
> of the copyright wars clues us into an upcoming fight over the destiny of the
> general-purpose computer itself.
>
> In the beginning, we had packaged software and we had sneakernet. We had
> floppy disks in ziplock bags, in cardboard boxes, hung on pegs in shops, and
> sold like candy bars and magazines. They were eminently susceptible to
> duplication, were duplicated quickly, and widely, and this was to the great
> chagrin of people who made and sold software.
>
> Enter Digital Rights Management in its most primitive forms: let's call it
> DRM 0.96. They introduced physical indicia which the software checked
> for—deliberate damage, dongles, hidden sectors—and challenge-response
> protocols that required possession of large, unwieldy manuals that were
> difficult to copy.
>
> These failed for two reasons. First, they were commercially unpopular,
> because they reduced the usefulness of the software to the legitimate
> purchasers. Honest buyers resented the non-functionality of their backups,
> they hated the loss of scarce ports to the authentication dongles, and they
> chafed at the inconvenience of having to lug around large manuals when they
> wanted to run their software. Second, these didn't stop pirates, who found it
> trivial to patch the software and bypass authentication. People who took the
> software without paying for it were untouched.
>
> Typically, the way this happened is a programmer, with possession of
> technology and expertise of equivalent sophistication to the software vendor
> itself, would reverse-engineer the software and circulate cracked versions.
> While this sounds highly specialized, it really wasn't. Figuring out what
> recalcitrant programs were doing and routing around media defects were core
> skills for computer programmers, especially in the era of fragile floppy
> disks and the rough-and-ready early days of software development.
> Anti-copying strategies only became more fraught as networks spread; once we
> had bulletin boards, online services, USENET newsgroups and mailing lists,
> the expertise of people who figured out how to defeat these authentication
> systems could be packaged up in software as little crack files. As network
> capacity increased, the cracked disk images or executables themselves could
> be spread on their own.
>
> This gave us DRM 1.0. By 1996, it became clear to everyone in the halls of
> power that there was something important about to happen. We were about to
> have an information economy, whatever the Hell that was. They assumed it
> [...]

the article goes on to cover a bunch of stuff from there.  enjoy.

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com