ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

FW: [bc-gnso] latest draft of "advice" on Consumer Trust, Consumer Choice, and Competition

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: [bc-gnso] latest draft of "advice" on Consumer Trust, Consumer Choice, and Competition
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 13:45:27 -0500

Steve, John
Thanks for forwarding this to the BC. It shows an tremendous amount of work.
GAC on this topic?
Just an idea: for future preparation of the chart, could you ask Staff to
number the items, so for instance: 1. % DNS Service Availability.  Then
comments could be related to the numbered item. In the meantime, I have done
the best I can, but am not inserting my comments into the 'charts' at this
point.
In addition, I have a few questions that may have already been discussed, and
for some reason are not incorporated in the measurement elements.  These could
be part of a separate conference call discussion for the BC, perhaps on this
particular topic, since many members are likely to have interest in this work.
 I am not proposing that this consume the upcoming BC members call, though,
since it probably deserves its own time slot for those specifically interested.
I do support that the BC would like to have some metric about 'defensive
registrations', versus resolving/purposed registrations. For example, a new
gTLD may garner -- as did .biz and .info in their first years -- close to 70%++
of registrations [or more], that were duplicate, defensive registrations.  URDP
and URS won't identify this category, as the trademark 'holder' would have
registered to prevent cyber squatting, or confusingly similar registrations.
The document, page 8, item 2 in the chart, suggests that Zone and WHOIS data is
the source. More discussion may be useful on this topic.
The first WHOIS TF, which I chaired, did a user survey, and respondents
voluntarily participated.  ICANN could encourage new gTLDs via the registry
agreement to agree to post standard notices of the opportunity to participate
in surveys and studies that will be undertaken, from time to time, under
ICANN's sponsorship, and provide a neutral link to the information on the ICANN
website which could have a page devoted to Studies and Surveys.
Second, in reference to 'difficulty' in consensus on survey questions -- over
the years, the gNSO Council has struggled with, or even contested the
development of validated surveys, due to the internal conflicts, and the
challenges in the process of policy development. The WHOIS surveys are an
example of years of debate, slowly moving toward accepting the studies.
Item 5: % Uptime for Registrar Services, such as WHOIS, contact info [meaning
for the Registrar?] and [acknowledgement/resolution of] complaints. This item
says that it is 'doubtful that Registrars will compile... etc.  Wouldn't this
item also be subject to random checks and publication of data by ICANN?
The 3 year target in many of the elements is "Lower than incidence in legacy
gTLDs".  Is there present data on what that is? And, I am assuming that the
incidence is different from legacy gTLD to legacy gTLD. Is the WG proposing an
average? Or is this part of the still to be discussed topics?
APWG and SpamHaus [and ICANN] have suggested areas to be measured that I think
have some relevance as well for other ongoing work, such as DSSA, SSR, WHOIS
and the SSAC's work and reports.  Would it be possible to add a footnote when
that is the case, so that the linkage is apparent? and the interactions
supported?
Page 9, item 3 says that the Quantity of Ry Service Providers is 'moderately
difficult to obtain'. I am not sure I agree. ICANN has to have an agrement with
any Ry provider.
under the discussion of the definition of Competition: 'market rivalry' doesn't
seem like a definition that can be measured. Does this mean that the WG thinks
that this is about whether the RYs actively market 'against' each other? I
would have thought that the issue was really different choices for registrants.
 A highly successful NOT for profit gTLD could NOT market against another group
of gTLDs, but focus on just recruiting and marketing to their 'specialized'
targeted group of registrants.
Item 5 and 6, page 9: again suggests that the % of new and all registrations is
difficult to obtain. Is this saying that a defensive/duplicate registration is
not a 'new' registration?
Item 7: Whole sale price: why is this going to be hard? Is this because the
registries consider this confidential marketing information? However in Item 8,
it seems easier to report 'retail' prices. I am not sure that I support the 3
year target. The prices should be gathered and made public in a report, but
having second level names lower than $3.00 USD is not a measurement of value,
or diversity. For example, a second level registration in a financially
oriented gTLD is likely to cost more, due to due diligence, extra 'services',
etc. LOW cost isn't a sufficient nor, in my view, a valid target.
Sunrise prices should be made avaliable and ICANN can publish them. I can't
understand how a Registry is going to announce and operate a Sunrise without
publishing the information.