ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] WHOIS Registration Identification Study Webinar Notes

  • To: "'bc - GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] WHOIS Registration Identification Study Webinar Notes
  • From: "Chris Chaplow" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:57:13 +0100

WHOIS Registration Identification Study Webinar   - Notes for BC

6th March 2013     19.00 UTC

Report is open for public comment

http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/whois-regid-15feb13-en.htm

Close 9th March 6, 2013

Reply Close 31 March

There is only one comment at present.

Webinar Intro by Barbara Roseman

Presenter  Edward Mulrow  of Chigago University.

Sample of 1600 domains from .com, .net, .org, info, biz with good
statistical properties.

(Sample of 400 will provide good stat results, so 1600 chosen as we knew
there would be sub groups)

Data collected by auto tool bot written called NORC-BOT in Python

ICANN ran a parallel collection. All on one day in March 2012.

Only www and ww2 sub-domains checked for content.

Domain user is apparent user and relation to registrant

Domain Content   - noted if potentially harmful.

Registrant classified  into:

Natural Person, 39%

Legal Person,  33%

Privacy / Proxy    20%

Unclassified.(data missing, patently false, pending deletion)  8%

Apparent Domain User:

Legal Person,  37%

No content 26%

Parked    21%

Unknown    12%

Natural Person, 5%

User to Registrant relation

Undetermined 55%

Proxy ? Privacy 20%

Same 17%

Employer/ee  5%

Customer Other 3%

23% of domains with comercial user registered for privacy/proxy

55% we could not determine  content user to registrant.

This was exploratory first  study only.

Any questions can be asked in the public forum.

Call Questions.

Steve Metalitz: QUESTION:  If an apparent natural person registers mutliple
domain names, is the registrant treated as a legal person?  Or was reverse
whois run only if the registrant type was not clear?

Michael Jugovich: @steve metalitz: reverse whois was one of the variables
considered, generally users with large numbers of domains were considered
legal persons, however, this can not be a generalized statement applied to
all instances of coding.

Jennifer Sime: QUESTION: Does a privacy/proxy service entity essentially
mean that they could potentially be a natural or legal person but it's
undetermined because they went through a proxy, or am I missing the mark
entirely

Steven Pedlow: Answer to Jennifer: Registrant is spearate from Domain User.
Yes, this slide makes the distinction clear.

Chris Chaplow: Is a marketing name of micro business considered Legal person
or natural Person?

Michael Jugovich: @Chris Chaplow: as the name referes to a business it would
be considered a legal person

Avri Doria: QUESTION: Knowing NORC data from a previous life time, I am
wondering whether the analysis could have differentiated between commercial
and non commercial legal persons. Also wondering whether data was collected
on whether organizations were engaged in public service, such as women's
shelters or human rights advocacy offices.

John McCormac - HosterStats.com: QUESTION Were the domains randomly sampled
over the TLDs or was any adjustment made for different usage development in
TLDS outside .com?

Steven Pedlow: Answer to John: the domains were randomly sampled within
gTLD.

Chris Chaplow
Managing Director
Andalucia.com S.L.