ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: DRAFT FOR REVIEW: BC comment on ACDR's proposal to serve as a UDRP provider
  • From: Mahmoud Lattouf <mlattouf@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:32:26 +0300

Dear All,

We are a member of the BC and the IPC.

Our  application for a UDRP provider is of course, separate from that
membership.
However, we have been working in the ICANN processes for UDRP providers to
fulfill all requirements, and perhaps that is not as visible to BC members as
needed. The application process is a separate process, after all. and
independent of any influence of any group. We support that independence of
ICANN but also understand that users, such as the IPC and BC members have
questions.

As we are BC members, I would like to offer a discussion opportunity to answer
any outstanding questions. We have indicated our support for a retroactive
'standard' and volunteered to collaborate with others toward that goal. I
believe that another member of the BC from Latin America also supported that
approach.

We do not support the BC providing comments at this time, except for calling
for a process to develop standards, which can be retroactively applied.
We propose that the BC comments should be limited to calling for such a process.

Shortly, over 100 IDN gTLDs will be introduced, including several in Arabic
script. As an applicant for UDRP services, with a standing in both the BC and
the IPC, we are fully committed to IP protection.   It was disappointing to us
to read the BC Draft statement that questioned the application statements.  All
UDRP providers are in fact limited in their ability to ignore IP case law.  The
BC document ignored the realities.

The BC draft seemed not to fully appreciate UDRP requirements. I want to assure
all BC members that the application and the intent of the ACDR is fully
compliant with all UDRP aspects and requirements. The reality is that bringing
in an Arab provider as several Arabic script gTLDs are introduced will ensure
balanced UDRP decisions, with full respect for IP.

As I saw from another BC member from Latin America, providers of such services
are essential -- as new gTLDs enter the field.

If the BC members are open, I am happy to organize a discussion conference call.

In the meantime, I do not support the BC statement, which lacks full
information  and did  not in fact, ask us for a discussion to clarify any
concerns.

Best Regards,
Mahmoud A. Lattouf
Executive Director - AGIP Offices
Abu-Ghazaleh Intellectual Property
Member of Talal Abu-Ghazaleh Organization
Tel.: +962 6 5100 900 ext. 1623
Fax: +962 6 5100 901
Email: mlattouf@xxxxxxxx<mailto:mlattouf@xxxxxxxx>

TAGORG.com The Global organization for professional, business, intellectual
property, education, culture and capacity building services.
We work hard to stay first