ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Updated ICANN New gTLD Committee resolutions on GAC Advice from Beijing

  • To: "sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Updated ICANN New gTLD Committee resolutions on GAC Advice from Beijing
  • From: "J. Scott Evans" <jscottevans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 03:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

Here is a bit more about my reasoning:<br/><br/>Geographic regions do not have
global protection.  Some jurisdictions provide geographic indication
protections – but that is done legislatively, be it nationally or through
treaties - not de facto.  And it is a highly contentious process. <br/>
just country names are recognized, but any term a particular jurisdiction
decides is regionally sensitive – to a level of legislatively or treaty-based
recognition.  National and international law does not provide for this.  While
it is not technically “law,” it is having that impact through ICANN processes.
of this equation.  We are talking about ICANN Board adopting advice that gives
extra-national rights.<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPad