ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[bc-gnso] Policy calendar for 16-Jan-2014 BC member call

  • To: "'bc-GNSO@xxxxxxxxx GNSO list'" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Policy calendar for 16-Jan-2014 BC member call
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:02:42 +0000

Here's a Policy Calendar for Tomorrow's BC call.  (16-Jan-2014)

Channel 1. BC participation in ICANN Public Comment process:
ICANN Public Comment page is <http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment> 
here<https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment>.   Selected comment 
opportunities below:

 on Whois Misuse  (comments close 18-Jan)
In 2009, the BC prompted this study of whether "Public access to WHOIS data 
leads to a measurable degree of misuse – that is, to actions that cause actual 
harm, are illegal or illegitimate, or otherwise contrary to the stated 
legitimate purpose."

BC members Jimson Olufuye, Susan Kawaguchi, and John Berard drafted a comment 
that we circulated on 9-Jan.   Yesterday, David Fares suggested that measures 
to address misuse should not jeopardize access to Whois data, prompting Steve D 
to add a sentence to the attached draft (1st attachment).

2. Proposed Specification 13 to the Registry Agreement for certain aspects of 
".Brand" new gTLDs  (comments close 31-Jan).
The Brand Registry Group proposed a new Spec 13 for .brand registries 
On our last call, Andy Abrams and Stephanie Duchesneau volunteered to draft a 
BC comment.  They suggest 2 amendments for benefit of business users, regarding 
affiliates and sunrise periods (2nd attachment).
Let’s discuss on today’s call, keeping in mind that the BC addressed several 
dot-brand registry issues in pages 9-12 of our 2010 Comments 

3. ICANN draft for Vision, Mission & Focus for 5-year Strategic Plan       
(comments close 31-Jan)
This draft is output of April-September "brainstorming" by board, community and 
Tim Chen and Chris Chaplow are drafting comments for the BC, with help from 
Martin Sutton, Marilyn Cade, and Andrew Mack.
This group will give an update on our call and expects to circulate a draft 
this week.

4. Status update from expert working group on gTLD Directory Services  
(comments close 28-Feb)
The EWG status update is 
 and described on this page 
  Last week, Jimson Olufuye and Tim Chen volunteered to draft BC comments.   
EWG member Susan Kawaguchi is also available for guidance and questions.

Note: BC members are encouraged to submit individual/company comments.  The BC 
selects topics on which to submit official positions based on member interest.

Channel 2. Support for discussion and votes of our representatives on GNSO 
John Berard and Gabi Szlak, Councilors.

Next Council meeting is 23-Jan-2014, 18:00 UTC.   See full 
Highlights below.

Item 4: motion to approve charter for Metrics and Reporting working group, to 
address the "need for more uniformity in mechanisms to initiate, track, and 
analyze policy-violation reports.”

Item 5: discussion of improvements to policy development process

Item 6: Update on work of joint GAC-GNSO consultation group

Item 7: update on upcoming review of the GNSO

Item 8: planning for Singapore meeting

John Berard wrote to Council asking for discussion of Internet Governance:
There has been quite a lot of discussion inside the BC about ongoing 
initiatives wrapped around the issue of Internet Governance.  Normally, I would 
not seek to raise such a seemingly parochial matter, but a report from the BC 
Chair about a recent meeting Fadi had with SO and AC leaders suggests there is 
reason for us to take up the matter.  According to the report, there is concern 
that the representation is not international enough; that the volunteer base is 
too U.S. and/or European.

Channel 3. Supporting discussion/voting on matters before the Commercial 
Stakeholders Group (CSG)
Marilyn Cade, CSG Liaison

Developments in global internet governance and implications for ICANN and for 
private sector role.

Channel 4. BC statements and responses during public meetings (outreach events, 
public forum, etc.)

ICANN plans to delegate Singular and Plural forms of same string, despite GAC 
advice and community concerns.
The BC sent a letter to ICANN CEO and Board on 22-Oct 
Steve re-iterated those requests at the Public Forum in BA, asking if the Board 
shared the BC concerns.  NGPC member Mike Silber replied, "Yes, several of us 
are very concerned about this."
This topic was on NGPC’s 20-Nov agenda (Report on String Confusion Objection 
Expert Determinations), , but 
 indicate they postponed this item.

On 20-Dec, Steve and Andy Abrams circulated a second draft letter to the New 
gLTD Program Committee, citing an appeal process the Board recently approved 
for ccTLD IDN String Confusion. We gave 10 days of review by members, during 
which 6 members indicated support and none of our members disagreed or 
objected. Elis submitted the attached letter on 5-Jan-2014. (second attachment)

State of the Net  Conference, Washington DC 28-Jan-2014 
One panel is called "If the Multistakeholder Model is the Past, Present and 
Future of Internet Governance, Can Someone Please Define It?"

Steve DelBianco is on a panel with Fadi Chehade:  “Will the Brazilian Reboot 
Turn the Internet into a BRIC?"

ICANN’s latest plan to manage collisions between new gTLD strings and domains 
used in private networks. 
To develop the framework for new TLDs, ICANN hired JAS Advisors.  JAS posted 
initial thoughts on detection & response at DomainIncite 
 where BC members can reply with suggestions.

Attachment: DRAFT WhoIs Misuse comments[Steve].doc
Description: DRAFT WhoIs Misuse comments[Steve].doc

Attachment: BCPublicCommentonSpec13[3].docx
Description: BCPublicCommentonSpec13[3].docx

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy