ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Proposal for Development of New gTLD Name Collision Awareness, Education, and Tech Support Materials

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Proposal for Development of New gTLD Name Collision Awareness, Education, and Tech Support Materials
  • From: "Baskin, James F (Jim)" <james.f.baskin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:19:16 -0500

BC Members,

On our last conference call I spoke about domain name collision analysis work
Verizon has been undertaking with Interisle Consulting.  We have been analyzing
our DNS query logs to get a clearer picture of the extent and impact of
"leaking" queries to not-yet delegated or operational gTLDs.

We have been considering a parallel effort to develop documentation, and
possibly a webinar, to help prepare ourselves and our customers for
telecommunications and systems problems that could arise once queries to some
of the new gTLDs begin to resolve and receive responses other than NXDOMAIN
(domain does not exist).

While preparing the plan to develop those materials, we realized that most of
what we were describing would be of value to other carriers, ISPs, general
business enterprises, and more.  As a result, we have decided to reach out to
like-minded companies to jointly fund the development of these materials.

The following is a high-level description of the work effort.  With the support
of a handful of companies, these materials could be rapidly produced and
distributed at minimal cost to each of the participating organizations.  If
your organization might be interested to supporting and benefiting from this
work, please contact me to discuss it in more detail.  We are open to
refinement or reasonable expansion of the deliverables, keeping in mind that we
want to keep the development timeline as short as possible since the first new
gTLDs will go live within the next month.

Thanks for your consideration, and please feel free to share this message with
other organizations outside of the BC who might be interested in participating.

Jim Baskin
Verizon Communications

Proposal for the Preparation of Awareness, Educational/Training,
and Technical Support Materials Related to DNS Name Collisions

1.         Develop descriptions of specific query/response scenarios that could
arise as a result of conflicts of private and public naming schemes in the DNS.
 Document how these situations might appear to a user or technical support
person, and what can be done to deal with such situations before or after they
arise.  Integrate the material into a comprehensive awareness and training
program.

2.         Create documentation for awareness, training, and support for
management, employees/users and support staff.  Materials oriented for various
audiences would include:

*         For management:  awareness materials about the potential operational,
technical, and security risks of DNS name collisions.

*         For employees/users:  information about the changes in network and
system behavior that could arise as a result of new TLDs being delegated, how
to recognize when problems encountered could be a result of new TLD name
conflicts, how they can resolve problems on their own, and when they will
require technical support.

*         For customer-facing personnel (sales, marketing):  how to communicate
with customers to make them aware of the change in TLD resolution behavior and
the potential impact, before and after delegation of TLDs.

*         For technical support personnel:  step-by-step procedures for
identification and avoidance or remediation of collision occurrences.

3.         Create communication information packages for distribution by email,
web, etc. as appropriate, for target audiences, possibly including one or more
webinars.

5.         If webinars are developed, conduct a single session of the
webinar(s), which would be video-recorded for distribution.

GIF image