ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Update on CCWG-Accountability

  • To: BC List <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Update on CCWG-Accountability
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 23:52:38 +0000

As your CSG Rep on the
CCWG-Accountability<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/CCWG+on+Enhancing+ICANN+Accountability>,
 here’s an update:

CCWG has 3 work parties: Community Empowerment, Reviews, and Stress Tests.

On community
empowerment<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP1+--+Community+Empowerment>,
 we’re looking at giving the ‘community’ (AC/SO/SG reps) power to veto board
budgets, veto board decisions, and veto bylaws changes.

And we drafted bylaws
language<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/wp1/attachments/20150304/bc45c956/Draft1-AoCAccountabilityMechanismsStevev5-0001.pdf>
 to move the 4 reviews required in the Affirmation of
Commitments<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/affirmation-of-commitments-2009-09-30-en?routing_type=path>
 into ICANN Bylaws.  The community would get the role of appointing review team
members, of course.

We also drafted changes to ICANN bylaws so the board only has to give 'due
deference' to GAC advice when it gives 'Consensus advice’.   GAC is thinking
that one over…

On
review/redress<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/WP2+--+Review+and+Redress>,
 we’re looking to give the ‘community’ (AC/SO/SG reps) standing and access to
Reconsideration and Independent Reviews.

Also looking at changes to bylaws/articles that would restrict ICANN to its
technical mission.

And we’ve taken 25 Stress
Tests<https://community.icann.org/display/acctcrosscomm/ST-WP+--+Stress+Tests+Work+Party>
 and applied them to what the CWG and CCWG are presently considering (attached).

We can’t apply stress tests definitively until we have a defined
mechanism/structure to test, but we’ve done our best with the proposed
mechanisms at this point.

Please note that several stress tests apply to work of the CWG (#1, 2, 21, 19,
20, 25)

Both the CWG-Transition and CCWG-Accountability are having a face-to-face
meeting in Istanbul March 22-24.

Questions and suggestions welcome.

Best,
Steve