ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] RE: TMCH Independent Review Questionnaire Now Available

  • To: Chantelle Doerksen <chantelle.doerksen@xxxxxxxxx>, "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] RE: TMCH Independent Review Questionnaire Now Available
  • From: Phil Corwin <psc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:49:14 +0000

BC Members:

I certainly encourage all BC members who feel they have something to contribute
to complete the questionnaire.

Having said that, I’d like to emphasize several things.

First, note that this ICANN-funded project is being performed at the request of
the GAC. At the session held on it in Marrakech, several attendees expressed
concern that it might be seeking to bypass the policymaking process. Therefore,
I am pleased to see the clarification in the announcement – “This is intended
as an informational study to support discussions on related Right Protection
Mechanisms (RPMs) activities, such as the work of the Competition, Consumer
Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team (CCT-RT) and the Generic Names
Supporting Organization (GNSO) review of all RPMs in all gTLDs Policy
Development Process (PDP).” – especially in regard to the RPM WG which I
presently serve as Interim Chair. Therefore, I would urge BC members to
consider, in responding to question 9 of the questionnaire (any other
comments), emphasizing that the results of the study should only be used as an
informational input to established ICANN review and policy processes and not as
a basis for decision-making outside that context.

Second, in reviewing the questionnaire, most of its questions are very general
so it isn’t clear how a final report will summarize the results.

Third, those conducting the study admitted in Marrakech that it will be unable
to answer key questions relevant to any contemplated expansion of terms that
can be entered into the TMCH – such as the extent to which receipt of TM Claims
notices are suppressing non-infringing domain registrations , or how an
expansion of the match criteria might affect that.

Below is the portion of the briefing transcript in which I raised that question
(and I encourage BC members to review the full transcript, as well as the
accompanying March 10th presentation (available at
file:///C:/Users/pcorwin.PCorwin-W7/Downloads/presentation-tmch-review-10mar16-en%20(2).pdf<file:///C:\Users\pcorwin.PCorwin-W7\Downloads\presentation-tmch-review-10mar16-en%20(2).pdf>
 ). Given that serious shortcoming, it’s questionable whether and to what
extent its results will be useful to “Inform and support the discussion on
related RPM efforts”.

So, overall, I’m concerned that this is a study that will better serve the
Board’s relationship with the GAC than it will actually provide useful data as
an input to policymaking. Ion that light, it would be useful to know how much
ICANN has expended on this project.

Here’s the link to the transcript and the section where I raised my question:

file:///C:/Users/pcorwin.PCorwin-W7/Downloads/transcript-tmch-review-10mar16-en%20(1).pdf<file:///C:\Users\pcorwin.PCorwin-W7\Downloads\transcript-tmch-review-10mar16-en%20(1).pdf>

Philip Corwin: Good morning. My name is Philip Corwin. I'm a member of the
business constituency. I'm one of their two GNSO counselors. I am the person
Mary named as being appointed yesterday by the council to be the liaison and
interim chair of the new PDP working group to review all RPMs and all gTLDs. So
in that role, let me say, number 1, reiterate Mary's announcement and the
21-day period for volunteers to join the working groups started yesterday with
Council's approval. And I would encourage anyone in the room or online who has
an interest in this subject to volunteer for that working group with the
understanding that it's going to be a substantial commitment over an extended
period of time with, at least, I would imagine weekly calls. It's going to be
two very complex - a two-step process with very complex questions before us but
necessary exercise.

Let me switch to this now. I think while it's clear that this is addressing one
very narrow question relating to the clearinghouse and probably not all of the
questions that the working group will want to get into, it would be good if
this is, even for that narrow question, this is a high-quality study that would
help inform the worker, that working group.

Speaking personally, the Trademark Clearinghouse was established with fairly
high qualitative standards. The trademarks had to maintain a certain level of
quality to be entered into the clearinghouse. And then in the implementation
stage, the community decided to adopt trademark plus 50 where confusingly
similar variations of the trademark that had been subject to either a UDRP
action or a trademark infringement, and a court could also be added which gave
some members of the community some pause, but at least there was a history
that, variation had, in fact, been used for infringing. (Unintelligible) for
infringing purposes. I personally would have concerns about going further than
that and having the Trademark Clearinghouse being a database consisting of
trademarks reaching a high qualitative standard, plus a lot of junk, generated
by name spinning or whatever.

But here's my question: When you're looking at the claims notices and trying to
determine whether or not they had - the receipt of the notice had a
discouraging affect, how are you going to figure that out? I don't know the
current figures. I remember last year the community was surprised to see that
there had been a very number of claims notices generated, several million. At
that time it was a very high percentage of the actual total registrations in
new TLDs and it's never quite been determined why the number was so high. But
there was some conjecture that the registrations had been started not with a
true intent to register a domain but other business-related purposes.

So how are you going to parse it between registrations that were started for
purposes other than a true intent to register? And then for those registrations
that were initiated with an intent to register a domain, how are you going to
differentiate between the registrations where the registrant had an intent to
infringe and was scared off by the claims notice and realized that was probably
not a good idea? To the other cases where you might have had either
unsophisticated registrants who didn't understand that a mere match to a name,
particularly a dictionary name, is not evidence of an infringement without
additional infringing evidence as well as those registrants who understood that
but just didn’t want to go into the expense of retaining legal counsel for
advice or risking a potential UDRP or URS. Even where their intent was not
infringing, they just said let's get a different name. We don't want to risk
having the cost of that action.

So that's my question. How are you going to take the raw data and figure out
what the intent was of unknown individuals who receive claims notices?

Man 1: Thank you for the question. And that's a really good one. And I think
the answer, unfortunately, is with respect to the data that we have available,
it's going to be probably impossible to actually look at intent from the
information that IBM has. It is something that we're hoping to pick up in the
survey and questionnaire that we'll be providing to potential registrants or
registrants. But I think it's going to be difficult to come up with any
statistically significant kind of understanding of the extent to which it's a
deterrent for different types of activity or registrations.

Philip Corwin: So you're saying, basically, that it's going to be difficult to
impossible to figure out the extent to which receipt of claims notices deterred
potential registrations where there was no infringing intent and there would
have been no infringing use?

Man 1: That's correct. I think - our hope is that we'll pick some of this in
the survey, but I think that information will be more anecdotal, just because
it's going to be difficult to find all of the registrants in these different
groups that you mentioned.

Philip Corwin: Okay. Well, thank you. (Emphasis added)

Also, FYI, I made this comment later in the session---

… Finally, putting back on business constituency hat, we have many members of
the business constituency who are involved in trademark protection programs for
major corporations, both U.S. and abroad. One of the reasons they have not
taken advantage of the Sunrise registration period, in many cases after
registering their names, is simply because particular registries have
established very high premium pricing for registering their own trademarks in
that particular registry.

So they've decided, given the potential cost benefit, and it may be a registry
where the right of the dot term is not particularly relevant to their lines of
business where they’ve just decided to not pay the price and to wait for
general availability or just say if somebody registers that and they start
infringing, we'll just file a UDRP or a URS.

So the pricing of registration in the clearinghouse and the pricing of
registered Trademark Clearinghouse terms in the Sunrise period are very
important data that you should be looking at in the study.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050