ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Problematic .BIZ Registry Agreement Provision

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Problematic .BIZ Registry Agreement Provision
  • From: desk@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 06:31:09 -0700

I'm writing to voice my general support for the concept of lifting price
controls on registry services. Doing so embraces the essence of the free market
economy. However, in this instance there is only one .BIZ registry that
occupies a monopoly position within the marketplace. The lifting of pice
controls on registry services could (and most likely will) lead to the monopoly
registry raising prices to confiscatory levels on certain lucrative domain
names so as to maximize profits. The six month price change notice requirement
is an inadequate safeguard.

Please consider retaining price controls on registry services until such time
that the marketplace can have more than one registry for .BIZ so that there
isn't one monopoly provider.