ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

I oppose the proposed changes to the registry agreement

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: I oppose the proposed changes to the registry agreement
  • From: "chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:24:21 -0500

The proposed changes to the .biz, .info, .org registry agreement are completely unfair, especially to the small business person who cannot possibly pay what may be asked for a renewal of their domain name. Many of us small business entreprenuers make our living via the internet with our domain names used for selling products, information, services, etc.

In my opinion, this is a disastrous move that will put your average small business person who does a large percentage of their sales online completely OUT OF BUSINESS! This is an awful move and as if every small business person does not have enough to worry about now, we won't even know how much it is going to cost us to renew and whether or not it will cost more than we could possibly afford to pay. This will make it very difficult to do any sort of forecasting
or budgeting for future years because as our business increases in value, so
does
the unpredictable increase in registration fees.
The only ones who will stay in business are the VERY BIG PLAYERS! The rest of us will lose our online businesses. From there, what's next? Do the same with the .com and .net to make sure that no one except for the big players keep their domain names? This is completely unfair and will lead to the destruction of the internet as we know it. The internet has allowed many of us to own businesses who did not have the start up capital to own a brick and mortar business. The registrars already have much more revenue than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes, yet the power will be given to them to decide who will or will not stay in business.