ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposed to Variable Domain Pricing

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to Variable Domain Pricing
  • From: "Philip E. Davis" <Dirigo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:35:40 -0400

Gentlemen & Ladies:
I have been informed of your intent to institute
variable pricing for domain name registrations.

I oppose such a plan for the following reason.

As a small business owner who works very hard
to build his domains to service the public and
produce a profit It would seen unconscionable to
add yet another financial burden to my shoulders.

Taxes in various forms from various entities are
already a disincentive to expand and you are
proposing a another. The standards and rules
by which such fees or taxes are implemented
are bound to be difficult to make fair and are often
capricious in nature. Who decides and on what
basis are the renewal  fees going to be based?

Because of the international nature of the Internet
and use of domains it would be very easy to cause
undo burden on many who could not afford such
variable renewals and cause a arbitrary and unfair
application of Draconian rules.

I am opposed to any variable renewal fees.

Respectfully,

Philip E. Davis
dirigo@xxxxxxxxxxx
102 NE 2nd Street, #301