ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

new proposals

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: new proposals
  • From: "Alan Dodd" <domainer111@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:09:11 +0100

Dear Sirs,

We read with great alarm the proposal to allow tiered pricing for
.biz/.info/.org.

In our humble opinion, when a net developer buys a domain name, there should
be an implicit trust there that the cost of the domain will never become
astronomical.

Under the proposal, it is quite possible that the registries would jack up
prices - transferring the value of the domain name to the registry.  The
issue also arises of registries profiting from registered and unregistered
trademark rights (which exist under common law) by charging excssive prices
for domain names.

It is our humble opinion that registries should remain registries and not
start developing domain names, and they should of course be well rewarded
for acting as registries (which we would contend they are), otherwise a
conflict of interest might arise or be perceived as arising - a situation
sadly, in our opinion, beginning to pertain.

Humbly yours,

Alan Dodd
coalbucket.com
Unit 44