ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

No to variable pricing

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No to variable pricing
  • From: "Preston Powell" <preston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:44:49 -0400

Here's a quick note to make an obvious point.  Variable pricing will kill
the internet as we know it, and it will not achieve the financial goals that
is sets out to accomplish.

While the naming system lies in the critical path of the way we use the
internet today,  it does so only because it's the best way to get around.
As soon as variable pricing occurs, the market will create alternatives for
getting around the roadblock, the biz name is not critical in the sense that
gas is for cars, it's just the best way for the moment.