ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[board-09georegionswg]

[board-09georegionswg] Update and Latest Draft Of Geo Regions Review WG Interim Report (v4)

  • To: "board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx" <board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [board-09georegionswg] Update and Latest Draft Of Geo Regions Review WG Interim Report (v4)
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:24:11 -0700

Dear Working Group Members:

Attached please find the latest Draft of the Interim Report of the Working
Group (version da4RHv4). Consistent with the recommended timetable for the
publication of the Interim Report, this draft is subject to Working Group
member comments through 24 May.

The new draft incorporates a number of minor edits, but the most substantial
addition is a new Section B with the working title "Examining Fundamental
Questions, Confirming General Principles and Addressing Specific
Considerations." The section incorporates a number of fundamental questions
that Dave Archbold agreed to provide during the last WG call (see -
https://st.icann.org/geo-review-wg/index.cgi?transcript_04_may_2010).

Although we only had two substantive comments (Carlton and Dave) on draft
dav3RHv3, I would ask that WG members make a concerted effort to review the new
draft Section B and suggest potential answers to the four initial questions
Dave has posed in that draft section.  There are undoubtedly additional
questions that could also be raised, so please feel free to do so in your email
comments.

In this latest draft I have used highlighted yellow text to alert you to
particular areas where general (or in some cases - specific) WG member feedback
would be most useful.  Even if you have limited time to offer to a review of
the document, please try to look at those highlighted areas.

Survey Feedback:

To date we have 16 responses to the survey document.  Please continue to
encourage members of your specific communities to take a few minutes to take
the survey.  I have attached UN language translated versions of the sample
invitation note that I circulated to all of you in English on 27 April and
again on 30 April. Remember, the survey will be open until June 1, so there is
still time to get some good community feedback on the document.

Next WG Call:

Consistent with the agreed upon every-three-week timetable, the next call of
the Working Group is scheduled for next Tuesday, 25 May at 1200 UTC.

Timetable:

The remaining dates on the WG calendar leading up to Brussels are:

 *   24 May:  Written WG member comments to Draft v4
 *   25 May - 1200UTC: Scheduled WG Call - discuss draft v4
 *   1 June:  WG Survey Closes
 *   3 June:  Draft v5 of Interim Report (final?) circulated and initial
translations requested
 *   7 June: Written Final Comments on Draft v5
 *   8 June: Final translation edits submitted
 *   15 June - 1200 UTC:  Scheduled WG Call - Finalize Agenda For Brussels
Meeting (and possible session/workshop)
 *   Brussels Meeting:  WG Meeting and Possible Session/Workshop for community

Brussels Plans:

On the last call, Dave (in his Chairman's capacity) authorized me to proceed
with scheduling a forum session in Brussels for a discussion of the Working
Group's efforts.  This session would be in addition to a regular working
meeting of the WG. The internal ICANN meeting forms were just circulated late
last week and it appears that we will have the opportunity to schedule a public
session on the Thursday morning in Brussels. I plan to have a formal request in
to the ICANN meeting staff by the end of the week. I will also submit a
placeholder for the regular face-to-face WG working session in the hopes that
there may be some time in your schedules for such a meeting.

Similar to the Nairobi ICANN meeting, but now with the additional challenge of
Nick Ashton-Hart's departure from ICANN, I have recently been assigned, again,
the responsibility of managing community remote participation efforts in
Brussels.  As a result I will have very little time to devote to my usual
Policy Team responsibilities or our WG efforts in Brussels.  I hope that we
will be able to share the load to ensure some useful community interactions
during that week.

Looking forward to your comments and feedback on the latest draft of the
Interim Report! Remember to share your substantive thoughts, ideas, edits and
comments with this list by COB on 24 May.

Warm regards,

Rob Hoggarth