ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bylaws-amend-chair-comp]

Re: Opposed to Board/Chair remuneration

  • To: bylaws-amend-chair-comp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Opposed to Board/Chair remuneration
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:53:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again,

I noticed there was an incorrect link regarding overcompensated employees in
the
prior comment. The correct link should have been:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/op-budget-fy2011/msg00013.html

which documented the grossly overcompensated staff from the most recent IRS
Form
990 (i.e. at least 16 staffers earning over $200K/yr). During the ICANN meeting
in Brussels, I asked about that compensation directly, and ICANN has yet to
provide any satisfactory answer (or answers to other questions posed) see:

https://icann.wufoo.com/reports/icann-38-public-forum-fy-11-budget/
http://brussels38.icann.org/node/12532

I'd also like to comment, with amusement, on another comment submitted by a new
TLDs advocate, who clearly "wants" something from ICANN:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/bylaws-amend-chair-comp/msg00001.html

It makes one wonder whether this comment period is degenerating into an "Oath
of
Fealty":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fealty

where those who clearly want the favour of ICANN for their pet projects show
their allegiance by voting "yes" to payments to Board members. To suggest that
payments should be *retroactive*, even, demonstrates how this process lacks
credibility. Why should those folks be voting to spend the money of
*registrants*, to gain favour? It's not even their own money! That money
doesn't
grow on trees, it actually comes from somewhere.

As another alternative, as was suggested in the public forum by another person
at Brussels, conceivably domain registrants (who ultimately pay for all of
ICANN's activities) could opt-in (or alternatively opt-out) of payments to
ICANN
Board members (and other silly things that get funded by our money). If the
Board voted themselves $1 million/yr (collectively), that's 1/60th of the ICANN
Budget. With roughly 100 million gTLD domain names, that's a penny per domain
name for Board compensation (if one assumes the $1 million/yr, divided by 100
MM
domains). With 500 domain names owned by my company, I'd opt-out of having my
$5
(0.01 x 500) being wasted on ICANN Board remuneration. I'm sure others would
like the same option, whether they own 1 domain or 100,000 domains.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/