ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

do not allow closed generic domains

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: do not allow closed generic domains
  • From: "Affordable Lock" <affordablelock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 08:45:27 -0500

*       We support an Internet that is open and focused and has room for the
security and alarm industry.
*       Generic words cannot and should not be owned for the exclusive use
of one company.
*       A closed generic domain is not in the public interest.
*       If ICANN permits any company to possess a "closed domain" -
including Symantec (a computer company) to use ".security" then the security
and alarm industry could be lost.
*       Closed use of ".security" is not similar to the way ".com," ".net"
and ".org" are used on the Internet daily.
*       Therefore, we believe a closed generic application for ".security"
is anticompetitive and we request that ICANN require applicants for closed
generic TLDs to either open the TLD or withdraw for a full refund.

Sharon Dimand

Affordable Lock Services Inc.

3980 14th Avenue, Unit 5, Markham, ON L3R 0B1

Tel: 905 477 7618

Email: affordablelock@xxxxxxxxxx  Web: www.affordablelock.ca
<http://www.affordablelock.ca/>