ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Objection to a Closed Registry for .cloud

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Objection to a Closed Registry for .cloud
  • From: Sanjeev Shah <Sanjeev.Shah@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:53:47 +0000

To whom it may concern.

We at UNIT4 Business Software (globally) unanimously and unreservedly object to
.Cloud becoming a closed registry.  We believe this is a generic term and that
all organisations and/or communities that have an association with the Cloud
(be this technologies, software, services, social networks etc.) should be
allowed to use this TLD.

We do support the reasonable compromise that has been put forward to allow some
generic terms to be registered as Restricted, Community and/or Closed TLDs (as
in the examples given below).

(i) Restricted TLDs (e.g., .bank being restricted to verified banking
institutions),
(ii) Community TLDs (e.g., .ski for ski enthusiasts and related companies), and,
(iii) Closed branded TLDs where a company’s well‐known trademark also happens
to be a
dictionary term (e.g., .apple for Apple Computer).

Thank you.
Sanj.

Sanjeev Shah
Business Innovation & Technology Director

9th Floor, Reading Bridge House, George Street, Reading, RG1 8LS, United Kingdom
DD +44 (0)118 902 8522 | T +44 (0)118 902 8500 | M +44 (0)7720 400 325
E sanjeev.shah@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:sanjeev.shah@xxxxxxxxx> |  Tw
UNIT4BC<http://www.twitter.com/UNIT4BC> I www.unit4.com<http://www.unit4.com/>
This message and any attachment(s) are intended only for the use of the named
recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this
message from your system. Do not disclose the contents of this document to any
other persons. Violation of this notice may be unlawful. Please note that
internet communications are not secure and e-mails are susceptible to change.
Thank you for your cooperation.

JPEG image