ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

“Closed Generic” TLD Applications

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: “Closed Generic” TLD Applications
  • From: Piers Linney <Piers.Linney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 15:29:05 +0000

“Closed Generic” TLD Applications

I write in response to ICANN’s call for public comments on the issue of “closed
generic” TLD Applications dated 5 February 2013.

I am a Co-CEO and representative of the UK-based Cloud Service Provider (CSP)
called ‘Outsourcery’.  In our view allowing any single market participant to
‘own’ a closed a generic TLD such as .CLOUD is unacceptable and
anti-competitive given the now commonly accepted generic meaning of the word
and it association with an entire industry.

As a participant in the .CLOUD market, we would expect to have access to such a
domain and without such access we our business could be unfairly prejudiced.

The view of Outsourcery is that allowing one commercial organisation to control
.CLOUD would be counter to the basis on which ICANN has operated since its
inception and we would strongly recommend that such a generic TLD is not closed.