ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-cwg-stewardship-draft-proposal-22apr15]

IANA 2nd draft

  • To: <comments-cwg-stewardship-draft-proposal-22apr15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IANA 2nd draft
  • From: Vanda Scartezini <vanda@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 17:50:51 -0300

 I am not a lawyer but have some experience on legal side of organisations.
This 2nd draft brought improvements that I appreciate, though brought also
some points that are not clear at all on how it could work. I am referring
here to  IANA's  independence from ICANN and the proposal to do so.
 From my view the proposal just create a new entity that is totally dependent
of ICANN , both by its constitution and by its financial dependance. What it
IANA nowadays? Part of ICANN and  financially dependent of ICANN. Where is
the change?
How the proposal will implement the "independence" idea for IANA?
 I believe the demands proposed in this draft regarding community
participation, accountability and enhanced rights are ok and shall be
implemented, but do these new demands,  in any way, require the ³legal²
status of IANA as proposed? And the legal proposal will bring any
independence to IANA?
Appreciate any feedback from someone with better legal background than
myself.

Vanda Scartezini
LAC  SPACE  at ICANN Meetings
LAC STRATEGY