ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13]

IEC and ISO Comment

  • To: "comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IEC and ISO Comment
  • From: "Claudia MACMASTER TAMARIT" <MACMASTER@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 16:05:34 +0000

Dear ICANN Board,

On behalf of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), we respectfully submit this
brief comment for the current "Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in All
gTLDs (PDP) Recommendations for Board Consideration" comment / reply period.

We reiterate the strong opposition to blocking the acronym "ISO" as explained
in the previous letter from ISO Secretary-General Rob Steele of 13 May 2013
(http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/steele-to-crocker-13may13-en.pdf).

We also emphasize our joint IEC and ISO minority statement appearing in the
Final Report on Protection of IGO and INGO Identifiers in All gTLDs
(http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/igo-ingo-final-minority-positions-10nov13-en.pdf).
  In light of this minority statement, we strongly encourage the ICANN Board to
ratify the consensus recommendations as unanimously adopted by the GNSO Council
on 20 November 2013.

Respectfully submitted,

Ms. Guilaine Fournet
Head of Sales and Business Development
International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)

Ms. Claudia MacMaster Tamarit, Esq.
Intellectual Property Rights Manager
International Organization for Standardization (ISO)