ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-lao-lgr-24oct16]

Congratulation for the Lao Script LGR and a note on repetition mark

  • To: comments-lao-lgr-24oct16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Congratulation for the Lao Script LGR and a note on repetition mark
  • From: pitinan koo <pitinan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 22:40:34 +0700

Dear Lao GP,

Congratulation for the Lao Script LGR Proposal.

I have reviewed the proposal and I'd like to make a small note regards to
repetition mark.

In Thai Script, we also have a repetition mark U+0E46 (MAIYAMOK).

The discussion on including the repetition mark with the Thai LGR is not
yet conclusive within the Thai GP.  Some members would like to include the
mark because it is commonly used and friendly for marketing as it shorten a
string, and currently it is allowed in the second level IDN tables, while
other members are considering not including it because it could cause
confusion for consumers.  For example, the case that two different
registrants requesting for the same strings, one with one repetition mark
and another with two repetition marks.

Due to the conservatism principle. Thai GP recommends not including it in
the repertoire now.

However, the discussion of this issue will be continued within the Thai GP
and among the public multi-stakeholders in Thailand.

This note does not mean to object Lao GP’s inclusion of repetition mark in
Lao LGR repertoire.

I support the decision that been made through the multi-stakeholder models.

However, I’d only like to note the difference in handling this issue and we
hope we will learn the related policies from Laos when it come into
implement.

Once again, I would like to congratulate on the achievement of Proposal for
Lao Script Root Zone Label Generation Rules (LGR).

Kind regards,

--

Pitinan Kooarmornpatana

Member and Secretariat of Thai GP