ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-name-collision-26feb14]

ISPCP Public Comments to JAS Report

  • To: "comments-name-collision-26feb14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-name-collision-26feb14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ISPCP Public Comments to JAS Report
  • From: Christian Dawson <dawson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 06:14:31 +0200

What follows is comments from the Internet Service Providers & Connectivity
Providers (ISPCP) constituency:

1) Thanks to ICANN and JAS for their hard work.

2) If Controlled Interruption moves forward in the manner suggested by the JAS
report, every possible second level domain would be delegated by wildcard (or
every domain on the block list for those already delegated) to 127.0.53.53.
There should be an exception process for delegations where the nature, and
source of the requests to the root zone have already been narrowly identified
and where the registry requests or accepts to not delegate all names.
Otherwise, the Controlled Interruption may create risks without any additional
value, and network operators will be warned of collisions that are likely to
never come, causing untold amounts of work from sysadmins for no tangible
benefit.

3) If Controlled Interruption moves forward in the manner suggested by the JAS
report, a feedback loop needs to be developed to determine the ongoing efficacy
of the program. By gathering and processing data about response to the
Controlled Interruption process, we can get smarter and more efficient about
minimizing the risk of collisions in the future.

4) One thing we like about Controlled Interruption via 127.0.53.53 IF it proves
effective is that it makes the problem easily identifiable, so that solutions
can be found via search engine by sysadmins. Whatever methodology moves forward
must have the network sysadmin in mind, and must give the sysadmin who is
likely unfamiliar with new gTLDs a pathway to identify and solve issues as
quickly and easily as possible.

5) We will never have sufficient data to know for certain what will break
during delegation. We ought to focus as much of our attention as possible on
documentation and outreach. The report states the outreach done to date, and
that's a good start. These efforts need to continue to grow over time and
cannot end when the full report is issued.