ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Paul Gray Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Paul Gray Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "Paul, Durango PC Guy" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:40:00 -0600

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Just because someone has a web presence does not mean that anyone should be able to physically locate the person. It is a public safety concern in that a person should be able to choose to withhold their personal information from public access of directories. These new procedures would cause the user to sacrifice that right to privacy just to participate in owning a commercial site.