ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

I'm not really sure why this is being done?

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I'm not really sure why this is being done?
  • From: Joseph Casey <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 16:19:28 +0000

I'm mixed on this. I guess I am just failing to see the benefit in removing
anonymity.

On one hand, someone could easily place fraudulent information  on their WHOIS
data without being noticed making the whole policy null. On another hand, it
would make it possible for individuals to more easily contact individuals who
are responsible for maintaining websites.

My one concern about this is that it isn't exactly great for small website
developers who develop websites with controversial content. Potentially, it
reduces the freedom of speech by limiting the safety of anonymity. I'm not
totally against this idea, but it would be nice if there was a solution that
prevented the WHOIS data from being used for spam, death threats, and coercion
against specific system administrators.

- Joseph Casey