ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Entertainment interests are not more important than privacy interests need not be at (complete) odds

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Entertainment interests are not more important than privacy interests need not be at (complete) odds
  • From: Daniel Flaum <talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:36:33 -0500

The anonymity of domain name holders is an important privilege which should be
generally available. As humanity's greatest platform for freedom of speech, it
is of paramount importance that we not undermine its effectiveness at such a
low level. People with unsavory enemies ranging from oppressive governments to
stalkers to school bullies deserve to be protected by default.

According to Ars Technica
<http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/06/domain-name-whois-anonymity-hangs-in-the-balance-under-icann-proposal/>,
 "proxy services are required to abide by their home countries' legal orders to
fork over the actual domain owner's information—but the content industry
complains that they don't always do so and that the proxies are difficult to
contact." Firstly, why should entertainment companies be able circumvent the
established legal systems countries all over the world? Do they believe that
they or ICANN have the wisdom and ethical standing to decide better? They
don't. Secondly, if proxies are hard to contact, then we should focus our
efforts on enforcing their responsiveness, rather than pull the rug out from
under the vast swaths of people and organizations with legitimate privacy
interests.

There are other avenues to explore besides a drastic change that affects real
people's safety and liberty.

Thank you
Daniel