ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS
  • From: Alice Wonder <alice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:51:57 -0700

Dear ICANN,

Please continue to allow proxy whois information.

I use it wherever I can, but where I am not allowed to - e.g. the .us registry - whenever I register a new domain I instantly get an increase in both e-mail spam and phone calls asking if I want to buy their web building services.

I have been tempted to use fake whois information just to avoid the calls, but the user policy says I can't.

However there is a more serious concern I have than marketing calls to my phone.

If I were to run a web site promoting trans-gender equality, do I really want the likes of Westboro Baptist to be able to get my information?

If I am committing a crime with my website, law enforcement can get a warrant to get my information.

Otherwise I want to be able to keep that information private from the general public.

If the MPAA wants to sue me for copyright infringement, they can have their lawyers find out who I am.

Why should the vast majority of innocent people who do not share pirated content have to give up their right to privacy so that a commercial interest has an easier time filing lawsuits in civil court?

That just doesn't make any sense.

Thank you for your time,

Alice Wonder