ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Keep Protecting Free Expression on the Internet

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Keep Protecting Free Expression on the Internet
  • From: Jonathan McCartney <jmccartney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:04:13 +0000

ICANN,

I'm the owner of numerous domains. As a regular user of the Internet, I
sometimes wish to see beyond the proxy registrations. They can sometimes hinder
contacting the domain owner when that occasional need arises.

However, that cannot outweigh the critical importance these proxy registration
services are. They offer protection to free expression on the Internet, without
fear of reprisal from those who would wish to silence them. People can post all
matter of stuff on existing sites anonymously. Anonymity underpins our
existence online. By why should that anonymity only exist for posting on
existing sites, rather than posting on a site you create?

Removing that anonymity for website owners forces people who wish to express
something which others may disdain to post to others' websites. The expression
is no longer free if anonymity is only offered arbitrarily through the
constraints of another. Anonymity, which, cannot be guaranteed as you must
always accept that that owner can arbitrarily expose you and unleash the most
horrible and wretched elements of the Internet on you.

What critical necessity does this proposal serve that you would plaster names
and locations of dissidents, activists, and minority advocates for all the
hackers, hatemongers, and trolls on the Internet?

Please reconsider,
Jonathan McCartney
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. If you received this email and are not the intended recipient,
please inform the sender by email reply and destroy all copies of the original
message.