ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comment on Proposed Changes to Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment on Proposed Changes to Privacy
  • From: Heather Graham <h.l.graham24.7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:27:36 +0100

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to register my strongest objections to your proposed changes
to WHOIS Privacy.

I use WHOIS Privacy because I feel that my security, and that of my family,
would be placed at risk should my address be made freely available on the
internet. Even the most innocuous of topics can provoke intense rage in
some people, and I for one cannot accept the idea that anybody who
disagrees or takes offense at what I write, would be able to find out where
I live. This proposed change is certain to place many people at very grave
risk, and must not be implemented.

Doing so not only places them in potential danger, but I believe also opens
ICANN up to potential class-action lawsuits from people whose privacy and
security will have been compromised by your willful failure to safeguard
their privacy. Avenues to obtain the contact details of domain owners are
already in place, and provide the necessary safeguards to prevent abuse of
the system and protect owners from malicious actions. They do not need to
be changed.

Please, reconsider your actions and do not enact this heinously negligent
change to WHOIS Privacy.

Yours sincerely,

H. Graham