ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Proposed restrictions for WHOIS privacy services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed restrictions for WHOIS privacy services
  • From: Stefan Kopieczek <stefankopieczek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 21:14:26 +0000

Dear ICANN –

I am writing regarding the proposed restrictions on companies that provide
WHOIS privacy services (per the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I feel that these proposals are misguided. One of the major strengths of
the internet economy is the low barrier of entry to online commerce. If
creating a website for my android application, or running adverts on my
blog, will require me to publicly list my family's home address, that would
be a great concern to me. I value my privacy, and that of my family, too
highly – and it seems that many others feel the same.

Of course, all providers should be required to comply with due process of
law. I accept that the legislative framework currently does a poor job of
enforcing disclosure of details when required, and that change is needed.
However, far-reaching rules that damage privacy are not the right solution,
and I resent my information being made public to satisfy the demands of the
entertainment industry.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
Everyone deserves the right to privacy, and private information should
remain private unless the law compels it to be otherwise.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email; I hope that you will
consider my views and those of the internet community at large.

Kind regards,
Stefan Kopieczek