ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Stop publishing private information

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Stop publishing private information
  • From: Shirley Smuda <shirleysmuda@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:40:54 -0700

Dear ICANN –

My private information is just that, private. Why is it you think you should be
able to publish it? I am a writer and in order to protect myself I use a
penname. You publishing my real name attached to those domains I purchased for
my writing is an invasion of my privacy. You are jeopardizing my safety by also
publishing my address and phone number. Why do you think this is OK? I have not
published my address or phone number on ANY sites I use. I do not want it to be
public knowledge. Please remove my private information from your registry
immediately.

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):
I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.
Private information should be kept private.

Thank you
Shirley Smuda