ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Registrant Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Registrant Privacy
  • From: mikebdavis@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 05:57:04 +0800

I am writing regarding the Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation policy
that is currently under development.

I oppose this dangerous policy, and any policy that will limit privacy
protections available to domain name registrants. I oppose any policy
that raises the cost of privacy protection services, which will
undoubtedly be the result of a mandatory accreditation process such as
this.

Privacy services should be available to all entities who need them.
Limiting their use by commercial entities is dangerous and unnecessary,
especially considering registrants are already required to provide
accurate contact information to the privacy services. Home businesses
are especially vulnerable to this proposal.

The current system strikes the right balance between privacy protections
(via proxy services) and transparency (via the existing contact
information accuracy requirements).