ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

against weakening registration privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: against weakening registration privacy
  • From: Nick Levinson <nick_levinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:52:02 -0700

I object to your making anyone disclose a registrant's identity and contact
information without a warrant or subpoena.

If you do that, I think lawyers will become new privacy or proxy service
providers for their clients. They won't have to get your approval or a
registrar's approval and their attorney-client privilege will protect secret
registrants. That privilege is already embodied in law above that of your
registry agreements.

I think the courts have already recognized a right of anonymity under
Constitutional free speech law. They still enforce warrants and subpoenas but
at least someone desiring that information will have to justify it to the court.

Worldwide, there are antidemocratic governments that are anxious to know who
their critics are and where to arrest them.

I don't use privacy registration but have considered it (as a way to prevent
domain theft) and respect the needs of people who are stalked and need to
protect their lives and safety while speaking out, who criticize institutions
who sue over mere negative publicity, or who live under repressive regimes
beyond an ocean and should not get arrested this easily.

Thank you.

--
Nick