ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Respect our privacy. Don't expose WHOIS data.

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Respect our privacy. Don't expose WHOIS data.
  • From: Charlie Todd <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 20:35:13 -0700

Dear ICANN,

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private.

My service to anonymize my contact information still ensures that I can be
reached quickly.  Most people who want to contact me can successfully do so
because NameCheap, my WHOIS anonymizer only penalizes people who use WHOIS data
for trolling, phishing, or spam.  Thanks to the innovative idea of a rolling,
random email address, courtesy of NameCheap, I can still be contacted by humans
while easily defeating the trash of the Internet.  No one needs to contact me
in writing or by phone.  Without this service, I would find a little part of my
day full of hate and dread.  Please let me keep my peace of mind.

Thank you.
Charlie Todd
charlie.link