ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Alex Cutone <alexcutonern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:13:01 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Everyone who creates a website should be sure that we will not have our
information blatently shared on the internet. Many new websites are created
daily, and the fact that WHOIS protection is a thing helps many people feel
safe and want to post their own views, ideas, and content on our vastly
growing community known as the Internet. With WHOIS, the average Joe can go
online, create a website about a topic that is very controversial, and NOT
have someone come to his address wanting to hurt him for simply having a
different opinion. Or maybe our friend Jane has a stalker who visits her
site, and they have now gained Jane's home address because it's also her
mailing address. While these may seem far fetched, this is something that
can happen to anyone.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

--
-Alex Cutone