ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Re: Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy.

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy.
  • From: Richard Gomez <wetgopher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 12:57:52 +0300

Dear ICANN,
This is regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS
privacy services.
As a subscriber to WHOIS privacy services, I am deeply concerned by the above
guidelines proposed by corporations and industry representatives. Certain
entities are only interested in this "nuclear option" to increase their profits
by making available, attractive services that could help "content creators" in
their fight against IP piracy. Likewise, "content creators" who also back this
proposal would stand to benefit from this. They know this.
These proposals would severely weaken a vital service that we [domain owners]
use to not only protect us from spam, but to protect us from "Social
Engineering". This could be anything from domain hijacking to SWATTing.
The fight against IP piracy has already birthed corporate "pocket-lining"
agreements disguised as "trade agreements". Agreements such as failed SOPA and
now TTIP. Corporations have far too much power and money and if a politician
wants to even have a chance at winning office, then they need this money. Sure,
we vote these people into office but, that is where our part ends.
The only power we, the little people, have is to email organizations like yours
or use social media to get the word out. Even then, that is an uphill battle.
So, with this little bit of power, I urge you, ICANN, to not consider these
proposed guidelines. Reject these guidelines and tell these corporations and
industry representatives that if they want to battle IP piracy the right way -
do it through the courts.
Please keep us safe.
Regards,
Rich G.