ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Respect Our Privacy - Prevent Doxing

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Respect Our Privacy - Prevent Doxing
  • From: Joe Bliss <blissjoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 09:20:01 -0400

Dear ICANN –

If you remove WHOIS privacy protection you are endangering individuals who
host websites. It could be something hosted that is controversial or simply
something one person doesn't agree with. There is already a threat to being
doxed when having an online presence and this will only add to it.

An article written by Ars Technica is from a writer who was doxed. He talks
about his experience and how terrible it was. He also provides
recommendations to prevent what happened to him. One of the methods cites
using WHOIS protection and he talks about ICANN.

Please take a moment to read his article and understand how big of issue
this could create.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/03/anti-doxing-strategy-or-how-to-avoid-50-qurans-and-287-of-chick-fil-a/

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Joe