ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

This proposal will do nothing to reduce internet fraud

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: This proposal will do nothing to reduce internet fraud
  • From: R Young <ryoung321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 08:49:47 -0400

I am a sole-proprietor and I have a website detailing the services that I
provide. My business address is my home address. If domain privacy is
eliminated, self-employed individuals such as myself will have our personal
information compromised; it will be mined endlessly by marketers (some who
are legitimate, many more with fraudulent intent) and will open us up to
stalking and harassment.

If the intent of this proposal is to expose illegal activity on the web,
there are already tools in place for that, through law enforcement and the
justice system. And if you succeed in eliminating domain privacy, do you
honestly believe these criminals are going to provide valid contact
information when they register a website for illegal purposes? Seems more
likely they'll be signing up with fake names and addresses. They're
criminals, after all.

This proposal will accomplish absolutely nothing in the fight against
criminal activity on the web, but it will eliminate much-needed privacy for
millions of innocent individuals.

Randy Young