ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - What are you thinking?! Respect My Privacy!

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - What are you thinking?! Respect My Privacy!
  • From: B W <bhwhelan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 13:08:33 +0000

Hello,

I wish to object, in the strongest possible terms, to the proposed rules
governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (ref, your
Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document).

I am a small business owner (as I'm sure are the majority of
domain holders) using a home address, under privacy, to register my home
business website. Privacy is a fundamental human right, and if the rules
as proposed come to pass, any spammer, malcontent, or commercial
salesman would be able to gather my home details at will without due
process and without my knowledge of it happening. This would be as bad
as a web site hacker getting my personal details - but legally. This is
not acceptable. I have chosen to use - and pay - for privacy services for
many years to avoid exactly this, and if this change passes that will all have
been wasted money. My personal information should *not*
be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request
comes from a private individual, company or even a law enforcement agency.

I await your reply eagerly.