ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS registration information privacy services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS registration information privacy services
  • From: "K. Cox" <kvrcox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:59:20 -0400

Dear ICANN:

Please reconsider the the proposed rules governing companies that provide
WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document).

I have maintained my own domain and site for many years. I am able to do so
only because I can avail myself of my registrar's premium privacy features.

I work in a field where many of my peers have been doxxed, SWATted, hounded
out of their homes, and the subject of credible threats that have put them
and their loved ones in harm's way.

If my information is forced to be publicly available, I will have to take
down my site, cancel my domain name registration, and cease doing my work,
for my own personal safety. I have a family -- a spouse, a child, a cat...
I cannot put them at risk just for the sake of being able to maintain my
own work and digital presence.

Please, please, please respect internet users' rights to privacy. Everyone
deserves it, but for marginalized, threatened, or unpopular voices it may
be a matter of life and death.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.