ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

WHOIS privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: WHOIS privacy
  • From: "bjoseph72 ." <bjoseph72@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:58:15 -0400

I am very disappointed with your desire to reveal millions addresses of
small business websites.  Go walk into ANY retail store, walk up to a
manager or store owner and demand they give you their home address.  They
WILL NOT.

Now pretend you are a criminal - find a website, purchase a gold necklace
from some part time goldsmith working from home trying to pay the bills
with 2 kids pulling at his pants, and use WHOIS to find out exactly where
that goldsmith lives.  Then proceed to rob him/her when they are off on
vacation.

PUBLIC record used to mean I have to:

1) get in my car and drive to the local municiple office.
2) wait in line
3) identify myself, and request information from the public record
4) pay $4 for a copy of the info

Today, criminals can hide behind computers and get any information they
want, whenever they want it because the government and organizations such
as you allow easy access to information.

Wake up.  Get your heads out of the sand, and stop providing criminals and
stalkers with more tools online.

All it takes is ONE bad transaction, ONE sour email to piss off ONE
mentally unstable person and they can look up your WHOIS address, and wait
for you outside your home.

Have you any idea how many part time moms and dads out there sell things
online and manufacture out of their garage?

Brian Joseph