ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Whois privacy
  • From: No Name <edtaborek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 21:20:37 +0000 (UTC)

Privacy on the web is extremely important to me. When theweb was in its infancy
I had my private information available for all to see. That was a hugemistake.
I had people calling me at all hours of the day and night disrupting my family
for no good reasonother than, because they can. Somehow they got the idea that
they can use my personalinformation for their own ends. I am sure you must have
some reason to changethe requirements for privacy, but it cannot possibly
outweigh the damage itwill cause. I speak from experience. I hope you realize
that the moreinformation that you readily give hackers is another opening that
they canexploit. You seem to be willing to jeopardize all small business owners
for novalid reason. Spam is so rampant in my email that my best defense is to
just deleteanything that is addressed incorrectly, it will be a lot harder to
control theincoming spam if the spammers have my true name. I get hundreds of
spammessages daily and some are believable enough that I must open them, i.e.
Ebay,Apple and even the IRS! With the correct name attached to them they can
cause areal threat to national security and can spread Virus quickly. It is
obviousthat there are no security precautions that are effective against a
persistentweb attack. My businesses have been hacked several times already but
I had thegood sense to keep customer information separate from web access.
Aninvestigation as to the origin traced them to personal computers in Russia,
andthen everyone threw up their hands and said that it was a dead end. Now
youwant to post my personal information so that it is readily accessible to
theworld, that is completely unacceptable. You are willing to compromise
millionsof identities for some misguided idea that will ultimately cause more
harm thangood. Do not allow computers from Russia, China, North Korea, Nigeria
to accessnetworks outside of their own countries. In your ivory towers the web
seemssanitary except for the few con artists that work the net. But I have a
tough,gritty perspective,  that has beendeveloped over the years, from my view
most people on the net are harmless butthere are a small percentage that are
evil and will bring havoc to my life ifallowed to. Even children today are much
more skilled than I am and present adanger to merchants everywhere. Where can
we go for real protection withoutpaying exorbitant fees?I find the idea of
being exposed on the internet veryunsettling and amounts to a threat to my
livelihood. Please send me your name,phone number, address and email address so
we can discuss this further at myconvenience.