ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comments of Key-Systems GmbH

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments of Key-Systems GmbH
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:09:18 +0200

Dear Mary,

Key-Systems GmbH is pleased to provide the comments below with on the initial report of the GNSO Privacy and Proxy Accreditation Issues WG for consideration of the group:

1) Arguments against accreditation:
The proposal to accredit providers of privacy and proxy services currently operating independantly from the realm of ICANN is not an adequate or necessary and will likely result in a substantial financial and administrative burdens on ICANN, provider and end customers alike. Independent providers would be forced into a direct relationship with ICANN and ICANN would be forced into the role of a supervisory and enforcement body, significantly increasing its scope.

The proposal to follow the path of accrediting these providers essentially proposes a direct contractual relationship between the provider as a registrant and ICANN, as most privacy and proxy service providers are the for many intents and purposes the public registrants of the domain names they provide their services for. The accreditation scheme therefore essentially proposes that a certain class of registrants would need an individual ICANN accreditation to be able to register and maintain domain names. This could be interpreted as a first step towards full registrant accreditation requirements, where anyone registering their domain would be required to sign an accreditation agreement with ICANN. The only contract binding the registrant and required by ICANN should remain that with his or her sponsoring registrar.

The proposal would essentially also introduce a new class of contracted parties and may therefore impact the GNSO structure in ways that cannot yet be foreseen. Privacy and proxy service providers would be forced to engage directly at ICANN, an undertaking which they currently have no interest or funds to do.

We therefore propose that alternate methods of achieving many of the same benefits should be explored by this group. Such methods could include certification of compliance with policy requirements, adherance to a set of best practices or other means. For example, a registrar could certify providers it actively works with with no need to involve ICANN at this level. Instead of maintaining an accreditation scheme, such methods would not require an accreditation process, accreditation fees and heavy compliance oversight but rather would require each provider to voluntarily accept the requirements of the policy developed by this group and subsequent versions thereof. Enforcement would be covered by modifying the requirements or registrars in the RAA and consensus policies when working knowingly with privacy or proxy service providers.

Accreditation and service fees, ICANN engagements and other newly added cost could significantly increase the cost of such services for the end customers, who currently can opt-into services offered by their direct providers at a nominal fee. Such cost increases would have to be taken into account when calculating the benefits such a new policy would bring.

2)
We request that any recommendation proposed by the group be based on an extensive cost-risk-benefit analysis. Any recommendation should be subject to a review of what it will cost, both socially and economically, as should each proposed benefits. No recommendation should be proposed where the benefits do not significantly outweigh the costs and/or risks.

3) With regard to the recommendation to avoid the need to disclose upon renewal, transfer or restoring, we propose a default contact be allowed under all policies that would not fall under whois accuracy requirements and which should only be used for the listed purposes for a limited duration.

4) We do not support creating a list of accreditated service providers, however a list of providers that have committed to the recommendations would be helpful.

5) Contactibility need not match exactly the requirements of 2.3 of the RAA as providers have in many cases no access to modify or change registration data or take other action regarding the domain name. There is no need to have an point of contact equivalent to the TEAC. Response times also need not be as quickly as those of the sponsoring registrar.

6) Regarding Relay:
-We favor Option 2 as it allows filtering of unwanted messages such as purchase enquiries even if those do not qualify as spam or abusive communications -Instead of "All third party electronic requests alleging abuse by a P/P service customer will be promptly forwarded to the customer. ", we propose: "Provider will promptly upon receipt attempt to forward all substantiated third party electronic requests alleging abuse by a P/P service customer to the customer. "

7) Regarding disclosure/publication:
- Disclosure or publication should never be the automatic result of a process, but rather remain an option of the provider. Requests for disclosure by third parties should remain refusable by the provider unless the request is issued by a public law enforcement body of proper authority acting within its own jurisdiction. Private organizations designated by a public body for certain types of abuse should not qualify as such public law enforcement bodies. We do not support the proposed Disclosure Framework as it assumes disclosure if certain process steps are followed regardless of the merits of the complaint.

8) Escalation of Relay:
We do not support the proposal that costs should be borne by the registrant. Any processing fee should be paid by the party requesting the forwarding of information. We also propose to strike "the number of" from the last paragraph. As a minimum mandatory requirement, we propose that the provider utilize alternate means to try to contact its customer without necessarily being required to disclose those avenues to the complainant.

9) Commercial use:
We do not support the notion that a certain type of use would prohibit the use of these services. Requirements for disclosure are better applied to the content of the websites and should be legislated nationally or agreed upon internationally. Providers should not have to evaluate eligibility based on use. We find this impractical. This author has personally used online financial services operated under domains utilizing privacy services with no issue. There may be a plethora of legitimate reasons for not wanting to disclose the identity of the domain registrant even when such services are provided.

10) Review of any policy:
We propose that any policy recommendation include a sunset term, with automated renewal of the policy recommendation to be dependent on an analysis of whether it has whether it has delivered on its intended benefits and whether it has led to additional costs or issues not forseen by the WG when it made the recommendations.

--
Bei weiteren Fragen stehen wir Ihnen gerne zur Verfügung.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Volker A. Greimann
- Rechtsabteilung -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email:vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web:www.key-systems.net  /www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com  /www.BrandShelter.com

Folgen Sie uns bei Twitter oder werden Sie unser Fan bei Facebook:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

Geschäftsführer: Alexander Siffrin
Handelsregister Nr.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
Umsatzsteuer ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu
Der Inhalt dieser Nachricht ist vertraulich und nur für den angegebenen
Empfänger bestimmt. Jede Form der Kenntnisgabe, Veröffentlichung oder
Weitergabe an Dritte durch den Empfänger ist unzulässig. Sollte diese Nachricht
nicht für Sie bestimmt sein, so bitten wir Sie, sich mit uns per E-Mail oder
telefonisch in Verbindung zu setzen.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Volker A. Greimann
- legal department -

Key-Systems GmbH
Im Oberen Werk 1
66386 St. Ingbert
Tel.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 901
Fax.: +49 (0) 6894 - 9396 851
Email:vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Web:www.key-systems.net  /www.RRPproxy.net
www.domaindiscount24.com  /www.BrandShelter.com

Follow us on Twitter or join our fan community on Facebook and stay updated:
www.facebook.com/KeySystems
www.twitter.com/key_systems

CEO: Alexander Siffrin
Registration No.: HR B 18835 - Saarbruecken
V.A.T. ID.: DE211006534

Member of the KEYDRIVE GROUP
www.keydrive.lu
This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person to whom it is
addressed. Furthermore it is not permitted to publish any content of this
email. You must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail. If an
addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, kindly notify the
author by replying to this e-mail or contacting us by telephone.