ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy & Proxy Services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy & Proxy Services
  • From: Nate Plamondon <nplamondon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 16:04:34 -0700

I run servers and services from a domain I personally own. I strongly
dislike the idea of people being able to tie my home address to these
services, so I use a privacy-guarding feature provided by my registrar. I
am by no means an extreme case. If I'm this concerned with my privacy,
imagine how political and social activists, members of minority groups, and
people targeted by hate groups (think GamerGate, or KKK, for example)....

Requiring domain owners and registrars to expose the owner's address will
do very little to combat piracy, and will do a great deal of harm to
privacy.

--
Nate Plamondon