ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13]

Comments from CORE Association: General Comments (1 of 3)

  • To: comments-rpm-requirements-06aug13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments from CORE Association: General Comments (1 of 3)
  • From: Amadeu Abril i Abril <amadeu.abril@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 17:23:56 +0200

Dear ICANN Board and staff,

CORE Association wishes to thank the staff for the efforts made into the
improvement of the RPM Requirements Document. A group of applicants from NTAG
has worked closely with ICANN staff to bring necessary amendments and
improvements to this text. While some have made it to the new version, some are
somehow summarized in the additional memo submitted for public comment, and
some are still absent.

As general points, CORE would like expressing its support for proposed revision
contained in the Memorandum:

1. Proposal on notice of Sunrise Period (as it makes everybody's life easier,
while guaranteeing that no surprises will occur as the allocation of names
cannot be performed during the first 30 days, so the required protection
demanded by trademark holders remains intact).

2. Proposal for allocation of 100 names (as this is a barebones, minimal even
if probably not sufficient way to adopt a minimalist Pioneers' Program, by this
or any other name. Indeed, guarantees that the program will not allow abuse of
legitimate legal rights, including trademarks, should be provided by Registry
Operator).

3. Proposal for Exception Procedure. Geographically-oriented TLDs, community
TLDs, restricted TLDs, and probably other groups certainly will have legitimate
reasons to require adapted RPMs. Very often this will not be an *exception* to
the Rights Protections Mechanism, but an extension thereof. Schedule 7 of the
TLD Agreement expressly acknowledges that Registry Operators may adopt
additional rights-protection mechanisms. And indeed, TMCH-validated trademarks
are valid, legitimate rights that must be protected, but there are others that
may require protection.

In most cases, this would be necessary to make any sense of the TLD for the
general public at all. In some cases, such as geographically bound TLDs, this
will already be mandated by local law. And abiding by local law, protecting
legitimate rights from abuse and protecting consumers can never be an exception
or a privilege. It is a mandate and a responsibility. We would therefore
request that such procedure be termed "Procedure for Validation of Additional
RPMs". The intent should not be an exception, that is, a permission not to
protect rights, but should be based on additional or alternative rights being
protected, or additional mechanisms to protect them all. And this is not pure
semantics: it goes to the core of the issue. Legitimate rights should be
protected without exception; some TLDs may require specific mechanisms, or some
reordering of rights' priorities, which is very different in nature and
results. It is not an exemption, it is a complement.

In this regard we support the different examples discussed between the NTAG
team and the staff, some of which have made their way as examples in the
proposed alternative text for geographically-oriented TLDs, or community TLDs.
We will provide more detail in separate mails.

We also believe that additional RPMs for the Launch phase described in the
Application should benefit form a rebuttable presumption of acceptance from
ICANN. In principle, these proposals have been reviewed and evaluated, and
ICANN had to send unacceptable applications to Extended Evaluation. But we
could also understand that ICANN could have some time, upon reception of those
proposals, once again, this time as Qualified Launch Periods, in order to
justify its opposition to any aspect of them. At very least, though, the
presumption should be that they are accepted. In this regard, the proposed 5.3
(in the proposed new Section 5) should be reversed, and, for the plans
submitted in the applications, deem them approved unless ICANN justifies in
writing its opposition in a period of 30 days from notification.

CORE also supports the newly proposed 5.2 (in the Memorandum), except that we
don't understand the limit to a single additional provider. Nor are we sure
what are the "protections for verified legal rights that meet or exceed the
validation standards of the TMCH". While TMCH requirements for trademarks are
all known, we are unsure to have ever seen their validation standards.

Best regards,

Amadeu Abril i Abril
CORE Associtation
http://corenic.org

ABOUT CORE:

CORE Association (dba CORE INternet Council of Registrars) is both an
ICANN-accredited registrar since the initial Testbed in 1999 and the Registry
Operator of two new gTLDs (.сайт and .онлайнI. It is in the contractual
negotiations phase for a third new TLD (بازار).

It also provides Backend Registry Services for existing and new TLDs (and in
some cases, front end services), alone or in cooperation with other providers.
The new TLDs CORE works for include .art, .barcelona, .bcn, .erni, .eurovision,
.eus .gal, .madrid, .mango, .movistar, .paris, .quebec, .radio, .seat,  .scot,
.sport, .swiss, .telefonica and .terra