ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-tcr-dnssec-key-signing-21jan14]

Comments on the role of Trusted Community Representatives

  • To: comments-tcr-dnssec-key-signing-21jan14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on the role of Trusted Community Representatives
  • From: elewis <edlewisjr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:10:44 -0500

Background - I am currently one of the seven “west coast TCR’s.”  A year ago
there was an internal discussion on the role of TCRs and my comments below are
derived from my comments then.

For the most part, the role of the TCR is fine but there are two serious flaws.

The first flaw is that TCRs are expected to find their own funds to cover
travel and time required to participate.

The main purpose of the TCR is to provide what I’d call an active auditing
function.  TCRs observe the actions of the KSK signing operator as well as
participate in a critical step of the process.  There is a passive auditor
involved, meaning they observe the operator (and the TCRs) but do not play a
role in the process.  They do post-process the audit trail.

The passive auditor is under contract (compensated).  The TCRs are not - with
the rationale that it would be some sort of conflict of interest.  With the
passive auditor being paid, in my opinion, I don’t think that rationale holds
water.  Given that ICANN designed this system to be inside the US and rely on
TCRs from different regions to enter the US, it’s even more do a duty of ICANN
to make sure the TCRs are able (can afford) to attend.  And funding assistance
will make it easier for broader participation (thinking in a commercial sense).

I propose that ICANN provide reimbursement of travel expenses, in accordance to
travel policies that exist, upon request of the TCRs.

The second flaw is that the process of a TCR ending their responsibilities in
incompletely specified.

There is a process for changing a TCR and it has been exercised once to far.  A
TCR can resign.  But there are no provisions for removing a TCR who is unable
to perform or has failed to perform duties (such as not being able to
participate for a run of ceremonies).

Thirteen of the current fourteen active TCRs have been performing since the
inception of the process about 4 years ago.  The original thought was that this
would be a temporary assignment but as with many processes, it is habit
forming.  As a TCR, this isn’t a problem, but rolling through “new blood” will
strengthen the auditing function that the TCRs provide.

I’d suggest term limits, if just to get some churn in participation.  I’d shy
away from “elections” because of the problem determining who can vote (and how
often) or some other hard to administer selection process.

Ed Lewis