ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-two-char-new-gtld-12jun14]

DOTZON comment on "Introduction of Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace"

  • To: <comments-two-char-new-gtld-12jun14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: DOTZON comment on "Introduction of Two-Character Domain Names in the New gTLD Namespace"
  • From: "Katrin Ohlmer" <katrin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:09:10 +0200

DOTZON is a Berlin-based company focused on consulting for new top-level
domains for cities and companies. We have been active in ICANN since 2005,
and are currently stewarding more than 20 new TLD applications through the
ICANN process. These comments on the “Introduction of Two-Character Domain
Names in the New gTLD Namespace” are submitted on behalf of DOTZON clients.

The Applicant Guidebook specifies that names of countries and respective
ccTLDs shall be initially reserved under New gTLDs. Also, the Applicant
Guidebook specifies how those names could be released after delegation of
the New gTLD:

“For reference, applicants may draw on existing methodology developed for
the reservation and release of country names in the .INFO top-level domain.
See the Dot Info Circular at
https://gacweb.icann.org/display/GACADV/New+gTLDs”.

We welcome the initiative by New gTLD operators for a streamlined process to
request release of country names and 2-letter and character codes at the
second level. ICANN's preliminary review (based on the information provided)
did not identify any competition, security or stability issues for this
request.

Therefore, we support this proposal provided that the implementation will be
made available to all New gTLDs on request, no matter whether the gTLD is a
Brand, Geo, Community or generic TLD. We request that the restrictions
placed on two-character ASCII labels and country names are incompatible with
competition laws, unnecessary and should be amended. The implementation
should be executed via an amendment to the Exhibit A of the respective
Registry Agreements.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Respectfully submitted by:

TLDDOT GmbH (.gmbh)

Hotel Top-Level-Domain Sarl (.hotel)

dotBERLIN GmbH & Co. KG (.berlin)

Hamburg Top-Level-Domains GmbH (.hamburg)

dotReise GmbH (.reise)

dotVersicherung-registry GmbH (.versicherung)

I-REGISTRY Ltd., Niederlassung Deutschland (.onl)

I-REGISTRY Ltd., Niederlassung Deutschland (.rich)

I-REGISTRY Ltd., Niederlassung Deutschland (.online)

I-REGISTRY Ltd., Niederlassung Deutschland (.vip)

Bugatti International SA (.bugatti)

AUDI Aktiengesellschaft (.audi)

ACO Severin Ahlmann GmbH & Co. KG (.aco)

Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A. (.lamborghini)

Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG (.schaeffler)

Katrin Ohlmer
Geschäftsführerin

DOTZON GmbH - incubating name spaces
Akazienstrasse 2
10823 Berlin
Deutschland - Germany
Tel: +49 30 49802722
Fax: +49 30 49802727
Mobile: +49 173 2019240
katrin@xxxxxxxxxx
www.dotzon.com

DOTZON GmbH
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRB 118598
Geschäftsführer: Katrin Ohlmer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Akazienstrasse 2, 10823 Berlin