ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[competition-pricing-prelim]

ICANN needs to be changed

  • To: competition-pricing-prelim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN needs to be changed
  • From: Tom <kingsnames@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:57:52 -0800 (PST)

These latest reports which indicate somehow that domain name pricing caps are
unnecessary.... which would allow older domain extensions like .com and .info
and .org to in effect be raised to possibly thousands or millions of dollars a
year from their current average current yearly fee of $8.. is utterly absurd
and shows that ICANN is not rational. This is because ICANN has already been
informed by the US DOC that pricing must be fair and registrants must be
protected. The people have already spoken out against this and the danger of
tiered pricing many times. And on top of all this, we are in the midst of an
awful economic crisis. To post such a report as representing something ICANN is
considering is frightening. For these reasons I think the DOC and US government
need to restructure and redefine ICANN as it is showing that it is not working
in the best interest of domain registrants.

We absolutely do not need new tlds either. Many of the current tlds are hardly
relevant. What we do need is a sane sensible ICANN that will look out for
registrants and businesses that use domain names. This current version is
simply not acting in the best interests of domain registrants, and the economy.

Looking forward to a better future ICANN.