ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[competition-pricing-prelim]

Pricing Is Not An Afterthought

  • To: "competition-pricing-prelim@xxxxxxxxx" <competition-pricing-prelim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Pricing Is Not An Afterthought
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 19:29:24 +0100

Pricing is not an afterthought

If there are no restrictions on pricing what will happen with new TLDs?

Will we end up in a situation where only those with extremely deep pockets will
be able to afford the registration fees?

While I don't have any issue with a registry operator reserving some names for
an initial auction (as has been done by .mobi) or assignment via another
process, I do have issue with a situation arising where domain names are
offered by an operator on a tiered basis. In the end this will only benefit
those with extremely deep pockets and would in fact destabilise the internet.

Imagine if you will that registry operator X offers ALL domains @ $7 per year
for the first 5 years of their operation.

After year 5 they decide to up the renewal fees to $700 / year per domain

What kind of impact would that have on existing registrants?

I'd rather not dwell on it too much, as the very concept scares me.

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions